We had a different Christmas than we've had before but it was kind of special this year. This is the first time EVER that we haven't celebrated with other family members. The past two years we celebrated in Georgia with Rodger's sister and her family. Every other year, my whole life, we've always gone to the annual Lewis Family Christmas Eve Party! For all of the Lewis family it was a different Christmas since Grandma Beulah wasn't there to keep the party going. Every year we would have the same ol' party thinking it would be our last but this year, after 50 years, the end of an era came. We kept that tradition going as long as grandma was alive, she wouldn't have it any other way. Without Grandma Beulah here each individual family had their own party with their own families. I don't know how many would admit it but I think everyone couldn't help but have a heavy heart that night thinking and wishing we could be together, as a family with our grandma, just one more time. I think everyone was kind of lost not knowing what to do after doing the same thing our whole lives. It's time for new traditions and time to create new memories but change is hard. I know there won't be a year that goes by that we won't remember the old parties and reflect back on the only way we knew Christmas Eve. Even though every year we would complain about going to the same ol' party I know we will all miss it!
On a happier note... so my little family was all alone this year which ended up being kind of fun! We were invited to go to a friends house, from the ward, and celebrate with their family but we were actually looking forward to doing our own thing and plan and carry out what we wanted to do. The kids were all excited and that's all that matters.
It couldn't have been a more perfect Christmas Eve day!!! We woke up to it snowing and it didn't let up all day! It totally set the mood for the day's activities. With the Christmas lights on, the music playing, the girls in our aprons and the oven cranked up we spent the whole day baking and singing and enjoyed being together. The kids had so much fun! We baked sugar cookies and they decorated those and then we dipped pretzels and made chocolate dipped cake balls. While the kids were busy decorating I was busy making chip dips and other goodies for our dinner that night.
We played games and watched the nativity. Right after that some people from our ward came caroling and brought us some treats. It meant so much to us to know that someone was thinking of us on such a special night.
| The Allgaiers |
We then opened some presents, the usual new pajamas (the kids have that figured out! I think next year I'll surprise them and do something different!) We then exchanged each others gifts so on Christmas day we could just open up the gifts from Santa and from our parents.
Rodger had to go to work late that night so after he left we played some more games, fed the reindeer outside, got the milk and cookies out and FINALLY got the kids to sleep at 1:30 a.m.! Needless to say it was a very late night, or morning depending on how you want to look at it.
| Feeding the reindeer! |
| Sleeping on the floor waiting for Santa! |
| Santa definitely made a stop at our house! |
Unfortunately, wouldn't you know that Christmas happened to fall on the same weekend that Rodger's night shift works an extra 4 hours. UGH! At the least the kids were understanding and didn't mind waiting but he didn't get home until 10:45 a.m.! They woke up at 6:30 a.m. and didn't want to go back to sleep. I tried but they didn't even want to go peek until it was time to go down. I ended up waking up at 7:30 and thought I would go back to sleep until at least 10:00, being as I was up all night but, it was CHRISTMAS, I couldn't sleep in! I was excited too so, the kids just stayed in their room and watched videos and I ended up getting showered and ready for the day since I had plenty of time to spare. I did finally end up convincing them it was ok to go down and see if Santa really came and then they were really excited! Finally Rodger got home and it was time to go see what Santa brought!!!
Everyone loved what they got and was thrilled with everything so that was good! We had our usual Christmas morning rolls for breakfast then Rodger went to bed and the kids played with all their new things. I fixed a turkey and stuffing and when Rodger woke up that evening we had a nice dinner and relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the day. It was kind of nice being on our own but obviously it would have been great to spend it with the rest of our family too.
I didn't end up getting cards out this year
but I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas
and may you all be blessed with a Happy New Year!

Looks like tons of fun! You guys are so spoiled, but that's what Christmas is all about. Miss you guys!
ReplyDelete